Their sound is centered around the dark internal monologue of singer/songwriter Ben and offset by the light melodic vocal counterpoint of Morgan Thompson-Reid.
Their recent debut album I Will Want You When We Are Ghosts attracted Quickfix Recordings to snap them up for a single – It’s Fine is a total flipside to the album – a breezy catchy and optimistic ode to wellness and letting go of anxiety and negative thought processes.
Can you tell us a little about your latest release on quickfix recordings?
- It’s a little ditty about anxiety, jealousy, and learning to love giving up the idea of control. I was working on some weird, dreamy ambient type songs but this pop song started writing itself in my head and I had to get it out.
How would you start a dj set?
- I’d start with “I Wanna Be Adored” by The Stone Roses. That perfect anticipatory build up to a beautiful night.
First song you remember liking?
- “Smooth Criminal” by Michael Jackson. It was in the “Moonwalker” movie and I legitimately thought he was a superhero of some sort.
Favourite non single/deep cut that no one gives enough credit
- “Set The Ray To Jerry” by The Smashing Pumpkins. That bass, those subdued drums. It’s also one of the sexiest sounding songs I’ve ever heard by an angsty alt-rock band.
Song that is not your usual thing but that you love, weirdly
- “Good Times” by Jamie XX. Usually overtly literal and sexual lyrics kind of bore me, because it seems too obvious. But in this song, it somehow works.
A favourite song you adopted from your parents tastes
- “That Lady” by the Isley Brothers. I remember this waking me up as my parents blasted it in the morning. It’s a total jam.
A song that you love that other people seem to hate
- “Sleazy” by Ke$ha – honestly she’s an underrated pop genius.
Favourite tune to kick the party into top gear (not the show!)
- “Born Slippy” by Underworld. Usually the point that you just lose yourself in the night.
A song that gets you in the mooooood for lovin! 😉
- “Make It Wit Chu” – Queens of the Stone Age. The perfect make out song.
A song that you like to exercise to or adrenalises you
- “Idioteque” by Radiohead. The second it comes on I get a weird energetic shock to the system.
The best tune to close the night at a party/club/event
- “Goodnight, Ladies” by Lou Reed, for obvious reasons!
Favourite tune for the morning after
- “Garden Song” by Phoebe Bridgers always puts me in the right frame of mind to face the day.